Growing up in a Shanghainese household, we often have cold dishes at most of our meals. Especially during Chinese New Year, my mom would make at least 10 cold dishes. We are often too full to have our main courses afterwards. Unlike traditional Shanghainese cold dishes, this Enoki Mushroom Salad is super easy to make. It is super healthy and refreshing. It is vegan and can be gluten free as well depending on which sauce you use. This dish is low in fat, cholesterol-free, high in dietary fiber, iron, potassium, and various vitamins.
- 1 packet of enoki mushrooms
- 1 cucumber, grate into noodle form
- 1 carrots , grate into noodle form
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tsp white sesame
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce or coconut aminos for gluten free version
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1) Pop the cucumber and carrot into a spiral graters cutter and turn them into noodle form.
2) Remove the roots of the enoki mushroom, wash the mushrooms. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the mushrooms and blanch for 45 seconds. Trasnfer mushrooms to a colander and run filtered water over them to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
3) Combine mushrooms, cucumber noodles, carrot noodles and minced garlic in a bowl.
4) Mix all the ingredients for the sauce. Pour sauce over the salad and mix well right before serving and topped with some white sesame.