Last week, my husband not-so-subtly hinted that he was craving for strawberry cake.Being the super wonderful wife that I am (self described haha…), I took the initiative and whipped up a mini strawberry shortbread cake this past weekend. This is a really simple recipe that can be made with basic ingredients in under half an hour; perfect for tea parties or small gatherings.
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/2 white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups of whipped cream
What You Need:
- Slice the strawberries in half and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour two 4 inch round cake pan. (You can do one after another if you don’t have two cake pans)
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. Cut in shortening. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
- Slice off top of the partially cooled cakes. Spread whipped cream and half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with whipped cream and remaining strawberries.