My kids have recently developed a fondness in sushi – which kid doesn’t like sushi right? Sushi rolls are a healthy meal packed with nutrients, including protein, good-for-
Notes: Seaweed is the best dietary source of iodine, which helps support your thyroid gland. It also contains other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K, B vitamins, zinc and iron, along with antioxidants that help protect your cells from damage.
Ingredients (yields 3 rolls)
- 1.5 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sushi vinegar
- 3 sheets sushi seaweed
- 6 sticks of imitation crab meat
- 2 sticks of cucumber
- 1 avocado (a small one)
Tools you need:
- Bamboo rolling mat (makisu)
- Plastic wrap
- Sharp knife
- Cook sushi rice according to white rice setting in rice cooker
- When rice is done cooking, evenly pour vinegar all over the rice. Toss the rice to mix. Make sure not to mash the rice.
- Place bamboo rolling mat so the bamboo strips are running horizontally to you. Spread a strip of plastic wrap over the bamboo mat.
- Center one sheet of nori on the plastic. Spread a thin layer of rice on the sheet of nori, and press into a thin layer. Leave a small space at the top edge of the nori so you can seal up the roll. Arrange cucumber, avocado and imitation crabmeat in a line down the center of the rice. Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Roll it forward to make a complete roll.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut each roll into 4 to 6 pcs using a wet, sharp knife.