The temperature has gone down a lot this past week and it makes me crave for something warm and comforting. Aside from hot soup noodles and claypot rice, I also love stir-fried glutinous rice (生炒糯米飯). You don’t find this dish in many restaurants nowadays and it is quite time-consuming to make. Traditionally, we are suppose to soak the rice then stir fry it until its cooked. It takes around 20 minutess for the rice to cook, pretty good training for arm muscle I would say. However, to shorten to cooking time, some people prefer to stir fry the cooked rice.
- 3 cups glutinous rice
- 2 dried chinese sausage (lap chong)
- 3 small dried scallop
- 2 tablespoons small dried shrimps
- 6 dried shiitakes
- 1 egg
- chopped spring onion (scallion), for garnish
- 1 cup chicken stock, including the soaking water of dried scallop
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tsp sugar
1. Soak glutinous rice for at least 3 hours or overnight. Soak dried shiitakes, dried shrimps and dried scallop until softened. Chop shiitakes and shrimps into dices. Shred the scallop into smaller pieces with hands. Save the soaking water of dried scallop, add some more water to make it up to 1 cup.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of water into the egg and beat the egg. Season with salt. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the beaten egg. Move the pan around and spread out the egg into a disc. Cut eggs into strips.
3. In a frying pan, add the diced Chinese sausage, stir fry it for a couple minutes until the oil in the sausage releases. Add the mushroom, dried shrimp and scallop and saute until cooked. Set aside.
4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan, add the drained glutinous rice into the pan. Stir and coat the rice with oil. Add 2 tablespoons of chicken stock at a time and cook rice over medium heat. Stir fry until the rice soaks up the broth then add another 2 tablespoons of broth. Repeat until the rice is cooked.
5. Add seasoning and mix well.
6. Add the sausage, shrimp and mushroom. Stir and combine.
7. Garnish with egg strips and scallion.